January 26, 2012

Food Lover's Cleanse


Have you noticed that cleanses are all the rage at the moment? 'Tis the thing to do these days, but it's not the ideal diet for mamas trying to grow a healthy baby. Neither is a diet fueled by restaurants from days on vacay. We're only home for another few days before we're off to San Diego for a week, but methinks this Food Lover's Cleanse from Bon Appétit will be just the thing I need to welcome me home.

The cleanse comes complete with shopping list and recipes for healthful meals and snacks, like a raspberry hazelnut muesli, braised clams with soba, and a pumpkin smoothie. Bonus: dessert includes servings of dark chocolate. Plus, a few guidelines as you follow the cleanse. This plan is focused on eating well v. as little as possible. If you're really good about it, it could become more than a cleanse. It could be your lifestyle. And isn't that what we all need, in the end? 


Have you ever tried a cleanse before? What kinds? How about creating your own cleanse menu? It would take but a handful of your favorite healthy recipes, and would be kind of fun, yes?

P.S. I'm currently approx 6 weeks without dairy because I suspect the baby might have a dairy allergy. Have you ever given up dairy? How do you feel about the substitutes? I've only tried them a couple of times, but I don't think I'm a fan. Right now, I'd rather go without. Thoughts?

P.P.S Make this cake before you cleanse. You know, as a last hurrah ;)

Photos by Kimberly Hasselbrink.

No comments: