February 2, 2011

Driving North

For food. I woke up this morning and decided that instead of flying south to Costa Rica for our spring holiday, we will drive north along the coast. Mainly for food. This might be because I'd been stuck in bed without an appetite or working taste buds for so long, that a purely epicurean trip sounded like a delicious idea. 

So, right now, the plan is to put CR on hold and instead take a leisurely drive north on 101. Stopping in Big Sur, Carmel, Monterey, Napa, and Sonoma.

Except, I had to completly reverse the itinerary because I HAVE to be at Ad Hoc on their famed buttermilk fried chicken night. It's served every other Monday. Reservations have been made.

Other culinary stops in Napa will include Bouchon and Bouchon Bakery. I might as well make out with T. Keller himself. Taking all recommendations for the Napa/Sonoma area, although there will inevitably be a night that we picnic in our room with our finds from Dean & Deluca. Maybe Ubuntu?

Our room, by the way, will be at the AVIA, in downtown Napa. Puts an exciting twist into the wine country portion of our trip. And it comes highly recommended by Travel + Leisure. And don't we all love a good T+L rec? I want to split our time between Napa and Sonoma, since time is not an issue. Should I find somewhere equally exciting to stay in Sonoma, as well?

Next we'll drive into Carmel and Monterey for a bit, for really no other reason than the fact that I've never actually been. We'll play tourists and go to Point Lobos and the aquarium. The husb will want to hop over to Santa Cruz and show me his old stompin' grounds.

Finally, we'll head down to Big Sur, where the redwoods and I will kick back at Glen Oaks.


We'll likely end up at Big Sur Bakery twice. Definitely once. Maybe twice. And for the view, Nepenthe. Any other favorites in Big Sur?

Bets on how long before I change my mind?

No comments: