March 13, 2010

A Bridal Shower

I had my first bridal shower on Thursday! Thrown for me, by 18 of my sweetest first graders and my partner/teacher in crime. I am still giddy. It was the perfect surprise and I'm still not entirely certain how all 18 of my little ones managed to keep a secret for an entire week. That's a looong time when you're six! In fact, it was many little secrets.

The best brunch was waiting for me when I arrived at my classroom. Pancakes topped with blueberries, bananas, and agave syrup, with a refreshing glass of orange juice. Inspired by a recent reading of If you Give a Pig a Pancake, naturally. Followed by two rounds of bridal shower games. It just doesn't get much better than watching 6 year olds attempt to draw a bridal gown atop their heads.(Unfortunately, the sentiment is different for grown boys and girls.) 

The icing on the cupcake was listening to the children read the letters of recommendation they had each secretly written for me. The words "To Whom it May Concern" have never sounded so freakin' adorable. It was inspiring and heartwarming. It reminded me why I truly love what I do.

As if these letters weren't enough, Mrs. Tello and the class presented me with flowers and my first official wedding present, straight off our registry! I loves me some Crate and Barrel.

On a sadder note, this was also a goodbye party. You might remember that I am bouncing around to a couple of schools as I complete the last requirements of my Master's program. I couldn't have asked for a better sendoff. Room 37, you have made me proud!

No comments: