March 4, 2010

100 Days

Whoa. 100 days until the wedding. I have no special post saved up for this incredible occasion.

But how about a couple of posts from A Los Angeles Love that take the words right out of my mouth. I've sent her thank yous for being brave enough to air her dirty financial laundry to the world. And I'll say it here again. Thank you Becca, for keepin' it real.

Go here and there for her post on Real Los Angeles Wedding Budgets and another, appropriately titled Damned If You Do, Damned If You Don't.

I'll scroll through the highlight reel, but do yourself a favor and read the full posts anyway. 

* We should choose budgets because they're reasonable for our aims, our city, our guest list, and our pocketbooks.  And we should decide on our budgets based on real research and real prioritizing. And we should stop judging each other for the money we do or don't spend on these events.

* That's the feeling we should be chasing as we grapple with budgets: that our choices are worth it to us.

* One of the most difficult aspects of planning this wedding has been the immediate and overwhelming moral judgment ascribed to our highly personal decision-making process.

* My math says that the opportunity cost of NOT having this wedding would be far worse than moving forward with the event.

Finally, I know what you are thinking. That my post to mark the 100 days before the day I say "I do," should be full of sugar and spice and everything nice, but that's not all this girl is made of.

No comments: